What is The Master’s Hammer and Chisel?
An innovative resistance-training system that includes all three phases of muscle sculpting—known as SSP (Stabilization, Strength, and Power) Training— designed to rapidly build, chisel, and refine a masterpiece physique in just 60 days.
My Personal Review
What I like
- It has a cross fit feel to it which is neat. I’ve always wanted to try a cross fit workout. You do a lot of moves I’ve seen cross fit people do (but using normal equipment–you don’t need to go out and buy kettle bells– see below for equipment needed)
- I love that the included cardio workouts often use weights to get your heart rate up. It’s really cool to find you can great your heart rate up and get a great cardio workout by using weights. You don’t always have to run and jump around. For people who would rather lift weights I think this method would appeal to them.
- Sagi is one of my favorite trainers. You gotta love his terminator-type accent and how he refers to himself as “The Beast” (or now– as “the Hammer”! lol–he’s a crack up!)
- Autumn knows her stuff. I feel like with this being her third program she has gotten really good at training on camera. I like her even better now than in the 21 Day Fix program (and she was good then too–but just “green” and sometimes I could tell her inexperience with a camera in that one)
- Love that there is a modifier like all Beachbody workouts and if you get tired you can follow them at their lower intensity (however–if you are new to working out, very overweight or have pain related things that require serious modifications–you’ll just need to get creative and modify it a bit more yourself. I’m 37 weeks pregnant writing this and when they do burpees, even the the modifications aren’t enough for me so I just do lunges during that exercise. No excuses! 🙂 )
- It includes options to adapt certain exercises if you have limited access to equipment
- I just like seeing the super fit people gasping for breath, having to take a breath, go to their knees. It’s REAL. I like that the camera doesn’t cut away when they are working hard and reaching their limit. But they keep going (and smiling!) so it’s inspiring and motivating to me.
- The workouts are short (around 30 min). This is my favorite weight lifting workout of all the Beachbody weightlifting workouts so far. I do like it better than Body Beast and the 21 Day Fix.
What I don’t like
- Autumn’s outfits – I really like Autumn and I like her workouts. BUT– I just wish they’d put some more clothes on her. This program seems even worse than 21 Day fix. I’d say she’s less than half naked! It’s a teeny tiny sports bra that cuts low on her chest and then the teeniest tiniest stretch shorts that cut high on her butt and legs. When she bends over to lead a calf stretch her cleavage is nearly falling out. I feel uncomfortable working out with my husband–and it’s NOT that I don’t trust him–I completely do–but I know that he wants to keep his eyes only for me and this is a little ridiculous. The sexualization of fitness professionals needs to stop. She has an amazing physique and there’s no reason she couldn’t cover up a little more and still show off that she has great abs. Or let her wear a pair of capri workout pants so at least a little less skin is showing and she doesn’t have to pull down her shorts during the cardio workouts lol! I think Beachbody just went a little far on this one. I’m used to the whole abs showing thing from other workouts but this is really the next step–in the wrong direction.
- Repetition in the workout–it’s not that big of a deal–and it’s not in all the workouts included– but worth mentioning. Autumn did this in 21 day fix too. You’ll do 12 one minute exercises and then she says “ok round 2!” and you do all 12 of them again for a total of 25 min. Personally, I really like variety–I’d prefer 24 one minute non-repeating exercises. But hey–the upside is you know when you are near the end of round 2 because you just did it in round 1 🙂
- Nutrition- I teach a highly different approach to eating than Beachbody. To put it in simple terms, most of their menu plans will focus on eating a lot of protein. If you were to put food in a ratio of carbs:protein:fat I would guess (without actually doing the math) that they fall into a 30:40:30 plan. I think that is way too much fat and protein for health long term. I recommend 80:10:10 or 60:20:20. But does their plan do the work? Absolutely–I’m not disparaging that at all. If you limit your calories in the right way anyone can lose weight. It’s not about the foods, it’s about forcing your body to burn fat. To read more about nutrition check out my book #Hardcore (free for download on www.paulineabello.com) And if you only did it for 60 days and you were in peak health (like no cancer growing in your body or other illnesses, disease) then you’d probably be fine because it is an eat clean plan. However, following this nutrition plan long term would not support long term health. Too many body builders, olympians and other fitness professionals (including many in Beachbody) are getting cancer and heart disease despite how incredibly “fit” they may look. At some point I’ll re-configure the calories for the containers (because they are really cool!) and include a link, but for now the container system doesn’t work for me and I just track my calories with myfitnesspal.com
- The Supplements–I don’t think they are necessary or good for health long term (except for Shakeology–I only recommend the vegan Shakeology and then only as part of your daily “cooked” foods because it is not a raw food product ) so don’t feel like you need to get them. If you are trying to gain weight, if you eat enough calories and lift heavy enough you will gain muscle mass.
So do I recommend buying it?
I do, and I own it and use it. For these reasons: It IS a great workout. If you can reconfigure the containers to allow more veggies/fruits or just use myfitnesspal—glance at the screen to see the stretch and then look away when Autumn is bending over (oy vey) then it is great. Despite those few things, I’m still glad to own it because I love variety (every 3-4 months I’m ready for a new workout program) and because I trust the results from Beachbody (you WILL get results with their workouts–I lost 70lb using Turbo Fire and my husband gained 20 lb of muscle using Body Beast). I like the expertise that has gone into creating the program, the calendar, the guides, and how thorough the programs are (see below for a detailed description below of how the workout program works and what comes with it). So all in all, from a fitness perspective, if you like a more predominantly weightlifting workout than I would say this is one of the best (if not the best) program on the market.
Who is the target audience?
- Men and women looking for a comprehensive resistance-training or muscle-sculpting program.
- Those who enjoy Body Beast®, 21 Day Fix®, or 21 Day Fix EXTREME®.
- Those who like the motivating styles and proven training methods of trainers Sagi Kalev and Autumn Calabrese.
- Those who crave a simple, flexible nutrition plan to help them reach their unique goals.
What makes The Master’s Hammer and Chisel program so effective?
- The Master’s Hammer and Chisel is built on the three phases of SSP Training—Stabilization, Strength, and Power. Other programs only focus on one or two phases, which might give you decent results. But The Master’s Hammer and Chisel program incorporates all three methods to help you burn fat and carve every muscle for a strong, visually stunning body in 60 days.
- The program combines the expertise and proven training techniques of two seasoned trainers who’ve spent decades acquiring the tools, skills, and experience needed to transform your body into a masterpiece—fast.
Who are the trainers?
- Co-creator Sagi Kalev was crowned Mr. Israel–twice–and is a Master Professional Personal Trainer, IFBB Pro, member of the IFBB Propta Hall of Fame, Certified Nutrition Specialist, and Functional Diagnostic Nutritionist.
- Co-creator Autumn Calabrese is a celebrity trainer, best-selling author, and working mom who has held certifications from the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) and the American Fitness Professionals & Associates (AFPA), and has competed at the national level in various bikini competitions.
How does The Master’s Hammer and Chisel program differ from Body Beast and 21 Day Fix EXTREME?
(these are their other Beachbody programs)
• Sagi Kalev and Autumn Calabrese combined their own effective body-sculpting techniques into one comprehensive resistance-training program.
• Body Beast, by Sagi Kalev, is a bodybuilding program that focuses on muscular hypertrophy. The Master’s Hammer and Chisel includes aspects of bodybuilding, but also focuses on improving endurance, power, agility, strength, balance, and range of motion to sculpt a powerful, defined physique.
• 21 Day Fix EXTREME (Autumn Calabrese) is a shorter, goal-specific program, whereas The Master’s Hammer and Chisel is a full 60-day program with slightly longer workouts. 21 Day Fix EXTREME focuses on getting you shredded in the shortest time possible, while The Master’s Hammer and Chisel also helps you improve other aspects of your fitness, such as muscular endurance, power, strength, and agility. It’s a whole new approach to helping you achieve a strong and chiseled body.
How does The Master’s Hammer and Chisel nutrition plan compare to Body Beast, 21 Day Fix®, and 21 Day Fix EXTREME?
Like the nutrition plans in 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix EXTREME, The Master’s Hammer and Chisel uses the portion control container system. However, it is tailored to meet your specific goals and the nutritional demands that a challenging body-sculpting program like The Master’s Hammer and Chisel requires.
Can you customize The Master’s Hammer and Chisel nutrition plan to meet your unique goals?
If you want to gear your nutrition toward building more muscle (a surplus), or toward shredding fat (a deficit), you can use the Nutrition Plan Quiz to recalculate your calories to help you reach your goals.
How do the calorie charts for The Master’s Hammer and Chisel work?
The Nutrition Plan Quiz included in the program and nutrition guide will determine your appropriate calorie chart based on your goals. Like the calorie breakdowns in 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix EXTREME, the ones in The Master’s Hammer and Chisel Program and Nutrition Guide also include the number of color-coded, portion-control containers your bracket requires each day to meet your goals. (There is a 21 Day Fix app that makes using the containers super simple. You could certainly use that for this program).
How does the 60-day calendar work?
The Master’s Hammer and Chisel program is a 60-day rotation of hardcore strength training built on the three phases of SSP Training—Stabilization, Strength, and Power. Sagi and Autumn strategically structured these workouts to train in all three phases efficiently, so following the calendar is important.
What equipment requirements are there?
• A few dumbbells of various weights appropriate to your strength and fitness level.
• A bench or stability ball.
• A chin-up bar (or a resistance band and a door attachment).
What are the benefits this program offers?
• A strong, chiseled, perfectly defined body.
• Improved strength, power, cardiovascular endurance, balance, and agility.
• Incredible definition that you might not have been able to achieve before.
• The flexibility to lean out, sculpt and maintain what you have, or build muscle, depending on your unique goals.
- 12 workouts on 6 DVDs that rapidly build, chisel, and refine your body using SSP Training.
- A set of 7 portion-control containers and a Shakeology® shaker cup to help you master the art of nutrition— and sculpt your ultimate physique.
- The Master’s Hammer and Chisel Program and Nutrition Guide, with your straightforward eating plan, easy-to make recipes, and Sagi and Autumn’s expert tips for getting the most out of your workouts.
- Quick-Start Guide lays out your 3-step blueprint for building the body you’ve always wanted.
- 60-Day Calendar that shows you which workout to do each day for efficient and effective training.
- PLUS 2 FREE BONUS WORKOUTS
- 10 Min Ab Hammer: Carve definition into your core while strengthening your entire ab complex.
- 10 Min Ab Chisel: This core-crusher will transform your midsection, without ever getting on the floor.
EXCLUSIVE– If you purchase through this page you will get the FREE bonus workout, The Master’s Cardio (a $19.95 value)! When Sagi and Autumn want tough, fat-chiseling cardio, The Master’s Cardio DVD includes their go-to moves. Short, but intense, this workout boosts aerobic capacity, power, and muscular endurance—without impacting your lean-muscle gains.
How To Purchase Hammer and Chisel:
There are a couple options- click the links to see products:
- The Master’s Hammer and Chisel Base Kit (comes with everything included above)
- The Master’s Hammer and Chisel Challenge Pack see picture below–comes with everything in the Base Kit as well as a 30 day Supply of Shakeology, 30 day free trial of club membership that gets you the online meal planner as well as Beachbody on demand (think Netflix for working out–Beachbody workouts online and streamable).
The video says “coming soon”…but it’s here 🙂