With PiYo, you can carve an intensely defined physique without jumps, weights, or straining your joints.
What I loved:
I enjoyed that the workouts were really short!
I could see myself getting more and more flexible (which I know I needed but never took the time to do). I also love Chalene Johnson so it was a no brainer for me to purchase this workout when it came out (I lost 70 lb using her Turbo Fire workout totally different from this one).
I like that in every workout you can watch 1 of 4 different people and see the workout at a beginner, medium, and hard level. It’s a workout you can definitely grow with. I also liked that there is one person always in the “profile” view–so you can see what the move looks like sideways.
What I didn’t love:
You can’t hear the music really. Chalene’s workouts (Turbo Fire, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, and the gym version of PiYo) are best known for awesome music. The moves are always perfectly timed to really great music that gets you in the mood to work out. They turned the music way low in post-production and I think that was too bad.
If you’re not flexible like me I just felt like a total goof as I was learning it (being upside down in downward dog is not something I’m used to at all! I’m used to be upright and running and jumping around!). Sometimes I even had to modify the modifier because I was so inflexible. I just had to remind myself there was going to be a real learning curve and I needed to persevere because this format was really new to me.
So now that you know my opinion….
What is PiYo?
- PiYo is a low-impact, high-intensity body-transformation program that uses the most effective Pilates- and yoga-inspired moves to sculpt long, lean muscles and burn fat.
- Trainer, Chalene Johnson, uses fluid movements, keeping you in constant motion to give you a dynamic cardio workout that typical Pilates or yoga workouts lack.
- It’s low-impact so you won’t have to jump around or strain your joints.
- It’s high-intensity so you get the fat-burning results of a more extreme program.
- It’s designed to help you get an intensely defined, long and lean physique.
How does PiYo work?
PiYo isn’t like standard Pilates and yoga classes that make you hold long, intense poses, or
lead you through dozens of repetitive, microscopic core movements. PiYo speeds everything
up—including your results—by introducing you to dynamic, flowing Pilates- and yoga-inspired
sequences that can burn serious calories at the same time as they lengthen and tone your
muscles and increase your flexibility. As you progress from one fluid movement to the next
without rest, you’ll maintain an optimal heart rate to burn calories throughout the whole workout.
With every action-packed PiYo session, you’ll burn excess fat and sculpt and define your whole body, as you minimize the aches and pains that can come along with high-impact workouts. The result? You get a low-impact, high-intensity, total-body workout, giving you a physique that’s long, lean, and powerfully defined.
Who is the target audience?
Women and men who:
• Want to lose weight and burn fat without the high-impact jumps or complex choreography found in some cardio programs.
• Want to build lean muscle but don’t want to lift heavy weights or bulk up.
• Want to get the results of an extreme program without straining their joints.
• Like the benefits of Pilates and yoga, but also want the calorie burn of a cardio workout.
• Don’t have time to go from class to class to do separate cardio, strength, and flexibility workouts.
• Want a workout that doesn’t require a lot of equipment.
• Want to give their body a break from extreme programs but keep getting results and improve their performance in other sports by restoring their flexibility and core strength.
What fitness levels can do PiYo?
• Anyone can do PiYo—from beginner to elite fitness levels.
• Beginners are encouraged to go at their own pace and follow the modifications
demonstrated, building up intensity as they become more fit.
• It’s a great workout for athletes to increase core strength and flexibility, which can
improve their performance in other sports.
What makes PiYo unique?
Benefits of Pilates, yoga, and cardio—all in one!
It’s an authentic, incredibly effective body-transformation program that combines
Pilates- and yoga-inspired moves, all set to a faster pace, so you get your strength,
flexibility, and cardio all in each workout. PiYo delivers the long, lean muscles and flat,
toned abs of Pilates, a firm butt and strong arms like you’d get from yoga, and the
weight-loss benefits of fat-burning cardio. The workouts take just 25–45 minutes each!
No weights. No jumps. Just hardcore results.
• You’ll get the results of an extreme program without weights or jumps. You won’t have
to do the kinds of high-impact moves that can cause joint strain.
Ideal for any age, body type, or fitness level.
• Everyone—no matter what their fitness level—will lean out and tone up with PiYo.
Beginners can follow the modifications demonstrated, and even super-fit athletes
can use it to improve core strength and flexibility through the targeted Pilates- and
What benefits can you expect from PiYo?
• To burn calories and fat and lose weight without high-impact cardio or complicated
• To build long, lean, intensely defined muscles without lifting heavy weights that can
cause added bulk.
• To give joints a break from extreme programs but still maintain results.
• To improve core strength and flexibility and improve athletic performance.
• To get the benefits of Pilates and yoga without the stillness of yoga and repetitive
nature of Pilates.
• To get the benefits of a strength, cardio, and flexibility program all in each workout,
without having to find the time to go to different classes.
• To enjoy a new program from favorite trainer, Chalene Johnson.
What equipment do I need?
• No equipment is required to do PiYo, but we recommend a yoga mat, water bottle,
towel, and a space wide enough to take a step in either direction.
- 9 workouts (8 Base plus 1 Bonus) on 3 DVDs •
- Align: The Fundamentals (40 min.) •
- Define: Lower Body (25 min.) •
- Define: Upper Body (20 min.) •
- Sweat (35 min.) •
- Sculpt (30 min.) •
- Core (30 min.) •
- Strength Intervals (25 min.) •
- Drench (45 min.) •
- BONUS: Buns (30 min.)
Quick Start Guide to help you start seeing results fast
• Get Lean Eating Plan to make clean eating fit into your lifestyle
• 60-Day Workout Calendar shows you what workouts to do when
• Tape measure to help track your progress
• Exclusive! Purchasing through the link provided on this page will get you a FREE bonus workout—Hardcore on the Floor (a $19.95 USD value)—and it will assign me as your “coach” in the Beachbody System.
- Hardcore on the Floor (35 min.): This unique workout focuses on every part of your body. Using your own body weight, you’ll scorch fat and develop long, lean muscles and strong abs, glutes, legs, and arms, without ever having to leave the floor!
Where to Buy PiYo
There are a couple options for purchasing PiYo:
- The PiYo Base Kit (mentioned just above under “What’s included”)
- The PiYo Challenge Pack – includes the Base Kit + 30 day Supply of Shakeology (your flavor of choice) + 30 day free trial of the club membership which gets you access to the online meal planner and Beachbody on Demand (think Netflix for Beachbody–access to hundreds on streaming workouts)
Bonus: Customers who purchase PiYo through the links on this page will get a FREE bonus workout—Hardcore on the Floor (a $19.95 USD value) + me as their official Beachbody Coach.
The video below is me using the PiYo Strength slides. They are pretty fun! They don’t come in the standard Base Kit, they are part of the PiYo Strength Deluxe Upgrade Kit. If you end up enjoying PiYo then go ahead and purchase the Deluxe Kit and get these sliders and additional workouts.